Landlord Certificate Responsibilities

If you’re a landlord for a residential premise, bed and breakfast, pub/restaurant, hotel/hostel, holiday cottage or anything of the like, you are legally responsible for guaranteeing the safety of your tenants. Listed below are all of your responsibilities…

Annual gas safety checks

It is a legal requirement for landlords to ensure that all gas-enabled products that are supplied with the property have been checked with regards to their safety within the past year. These products must be tested against the recommended frequency provided by the product manufacturer, as outlined in the product handbook. Examples of gas-enabled products might include: Gas-fires, boilers, chimneys, pipework, flues, gas ovens etc.

Additionally, it is a legal requirement to ensure that a gas-safe registered heating engineer undertakes these gas-safe tests. Here at MJE Plumbing Services, this is a service that we can offer. We can check all products and pipework and provide you with a certificate that will recognise your compliance with UK Law. Need us again the following year too? We can be on hand then too.

Maintenance of records

Once the landlord certificate has been provided, it is a legal requirement that you show your gas-safe compliance to new and existing tenants. The certificate must be showed immediately to new tenants, or within 28 days of the certificate being granted to existing tenants. Additionally, it is important that you keep the certificate for at least 2 years so you can prove your compliance to UK regulators.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Since the passing of the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Regulations in 2015, it has been a legal requirement to ensure that a smoke alarm is located on every floor where there is living accommodation. Likewise, it is a legal requirement to ensure that a carbon monoxide alarm is fitted where solid gas can be burned, i.e. coal, wood, peat etc.

Tenant responsibilities

UK law states that all gas-enabled products that were provided with the house must be gas-safe checked, but it does not state that any products that were brought into the premises by the tenant must be checked also. However, it might be best practice to do so in order for you to ensure the safety of the property itself.

If you’re a landlord in Swansea or the surrounding area, please contact us so we can arrange a suitable time to check your property for gas-safe compliance. You can give us a call on 0794 042 0465 or you can fill out the contact form on the contact page of our website. We’ll look forward to hearing from you soon.